Computer / System Requirements
- OCAD 12 requires Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 (32- or 64-bit). OCAD 12 is available as 32-bit and 64-bit software.
- We strongly recommend for Windows Vista und Windows 7 to use the default Aero Theme to avoid unnecessary screen redraws or erased maps when moving dialogs.
- 50 MB of free disk space for the installation
- At least 1 GB RAM (depends on the size of open maps and background maps). The OCAD program without any open map needs only 70 MB RAM.
- OCAD 12 as 32-bit software can allocate up to approx. 3.5 GB RAM (32-bit Windows 7 consult the page Physical Memory). OCAD 12 as 64-bit software and can allocate more than 3.5 GB RAM if available.
- Screen resolution: 1280 x 1024 or higher recommended
- OCAD 12 MappingSolution/OCAD 12 Professional/OCAD 12 ThematicMapper: We recommend to install the Borland Database Engine (import shape files, database connections to dBase files, using OCAD to create thematic maps) and the Microsoft Access Database Engine 32-bit (database connections to Access/Excel files, using OCAD to create thematic maps).
OCAD 64-bit version cannot connect to Microsoft Excel/Access if the 32-bit version of Microsoft Access Database Engine is installed. The same with 64-bit Microsoft Access Database Engine and OCAD 32 bit version. In this case use the same OCAD version as installed Microsoft Access Database Engine..
64-bit Version vs. 32-bit Version
OCAD 12 is new available as 64-bit version. However, we have still also a 32-bit version. The OCAD Setup installs both versions. Both versions uses the same resources, nevertheless it is possible to run both version at the same time. The installer creates a program shortcut for each version. Please note, the 64-bit version isn't faster than the 32-bit version. The big advantage of 64-bit is that OCAD can allocate more than 3 GB RAM if available on the computer. That is important when loading huge raster background maps or DEM files.
You can check your Windows version in the OCAD map information dialog.
OCAD 64-bit runs only in Windows 64-bit version. Nowadays, most computers are running on a 64-bit Windows version. OCAD 32-bit runs on both Windows 64-bit and 32-bit. The ocd files are 100% compatible between both versions.
Please note that not all OCAD functions are available in both versions. The restrictions for OCAD 64-bit version are:
- dbf database file cannot be used
- GPS Real Time via COM interface does not work
- Laser Range Finder does not work
After the installation ocd files are assicated with OCAD 12 32-bit version. To change to 64-bit see How to Change Default Program Association.
OCAD on Mac OS X
Read the OCAD on Mac OS X article for more information.
- Maximal map size: 4 x 4 meters (OCAD Orienteering edition), 80 x 80 meters (Professional edition)
- Resolution (accuracy of coordinates) 0.01 mm
- 10000 objects (Starter edition), 16 million objects (OCAD Professional, Orienteering, Course Setting and Viewer edition)
- 4 million vertices for each object
- Unlimited number of symbols (number range 0.001 to 999'999.999)
- 32'000 colors (number range from 0 to 32'000)
- 2 GB file size
OCAD File Format
This description of the OCAD file format is intended for programmers who want to directly access the information in OCAD files.
- OCAD 12 File Format
- OCAD 11 File Format
- OCAD 10 File Format
- OCAD 9/10 Graphic
- OCAD 9 File Format
- OCAD 6/7/8 File Format
OCAD runs on all 7 / 8 or 10 computers except Windows 8 RT (ARM tablets).
Mapping on TabletPC
- Tablet PC with Windows
- Long battery life (8 hours or longer)
- Outdoor screen
- GPS with USB or Bluetooth connection
- OCAD Orienteering Edition
Draw Orienteering Maps and Course Setting
- Desktop or Laptop with Windows
- 4 GB or more RAM (at least 8 GB RAM when working with big Airborne Laserscanning Files)
- OCAD Orienteering Edition or OCAD Course Setting Edition
Map Publishing Companies
- Desktop PC with Windows one or two screens
- 4 or more GB RAM
- OCAD Professional Edition
Special OCAD Settings:
- Switch on the Faster text rendering in OCAD Preferences -> View tab in Options menu.
- Switch off the Anti-Aliasing mode in View menu. If Anti-Aliasing is switched off then OCAD draws the screen color by color. Otherwise OCAD draws the screen once after a short time.
The OCAD program file and the OCAD setup file are signed with the digital signature of OCAD AG. That confirms the software author and guarantee that the code has not been altered or corrupted since it was signed by use of a cryptographic hash. OCAD uses the digital signature algorithm sha256RSA.
That is the reason why OCAD 12 doesn't run on Windows XP and Vista.
The see the digital signature open the context menu of the OCAD setup file (.exe file) in File Explorer and click Properies. The Properties dialog opens. Click the Digital Signature tab. Click Details. In Digital Signature Details dialog is the Signer Name OCAD AG.
Back to Main Page
Previous Chapter: Tutorials