Edit Course Setting Objects
The Course Setting Box on the right side of the window provides several editing options for added course setting objects (Start, Control, Finish, Marked Route etc.).
- 1 Change Code
- 2 Text Block
- 3 Lock or Unlock Objects
- 4 Text Control Description
- 5 IOF Symbol Control Description
- 6 Classes and Runners
- 7 Course
- 8 Functions for Special Course Objects
Change the code of the selected course setting object by clicking the corresponding button (see figure). The Course Object Dialog Box appears. Enter a arbitrary new code (no restrictions) or click the arrows to find the first or the next free code. Click the OK button when finished.
If you want to renumber all controls, use the Renumber all controls function in the Controls submenu of the Course Setting menu.
Click this button (see figure above) to add a text block to the control description. The Course Object dialog appears. Enter a code for the text block and click the OK button. The text block appears in the list of all course objects to the left of the Object box. Select it and type a text in the field standing for the text control description (see figure above). Now the text block has to be added to a course. For this reason, select the course, mark the correct position in the course (e.g. after control number 38) and double-click the text block in the course object list. The inserted text appears in the control description.
Lock or Unlock Objects
Click the Lock button (see figure above) to lock or unlock course setting objects. If the course setting objects are locked, they cannot be moved in the drawing area.
Text Control Description
Enter a text in this field (see figure above) for the text control description. Alternatively, the text control description can be edited using the Edit Text Control Description function in the Course Setting menu. Defining a text for the text control description is possible for Starts, Controls, Marked Routes and Text Blocks (displayed also in the symbol control description).
IOF Symbol Control Description
You can edit the IOF symbol description by clicking one of the eight squares. OCAD proposes some symbols for the corresponding field in a menu. To delete a symbol from the control description, click an empty field of OCAD's proposals, when clicking the corresponding square (C-H).
A: Control Number: The control number is specified automatically depending on the sequence of the controls and cannot be edited.
B: Control Code: To edit the control code use the Change Code button.
C: Which of any Similar Feature: Declare the position of the feature when there are similar features at close quarters.
D: Control Feature: The control feature can be declared in this field.
E: Appearance: Add additional information characterizing the appearance of the feature.
F: Dimensions/Combinations: The dimensions or combinations of the feature can be declared in this field.
- You can either choose the crossing or junction symbol for two combination symbols or enter the dimension of the feature:
- Enter a value in the upper field of this box to define the dimension of this feature.
- Enter a value in both fields of this box to define the heights of two features.
- Enter a value in both fields and check the diagonal box to define the heigh of a feature on a slope.
G: Location of the Control Flag: Declare the precise location of the control flag in this field.
H: Other Information: Other information can be given in this field (e.g. radio control or refreshments).
- Sources and additional information to the IOF control description can be found here: IOF Control Descriptions 2004.pdf
- - Editing the symbol control description is possible for Starts and Controls.
- - It is not possible to edit the control description for the finish. The control description is defined by the marked route between the last control and the finish.
Add an Own Symbol to the Control Description
It is possible to add an own symbol to the control description.
- Create a new point symbol with the correct appearance and dimensions for the control description. Learn how to create a new point symbol on the Create a New Symbol page.
- Unlike the Point Symbol Dialog in a normal map project, the Point Symbol Dialog of Course Setting projects have an additional part, namely the Course setting project for orienteering part.
- Check the Control description symbol option.
- Check the fields (B-H), which you want OCAD to propose your own symbol.
- Click the OK button when finished.
Classes and Runners
In this part of the dialog all Classes using the selected course setting objects are listed. In addition, the total number of runners visiting this object is given. Define the number of runners per class in the Classes dialog.
Select a course in the dropdown list (see figure at the top). The course is now selected. You can add course objects to it by double clicking them on the map or on the list with all objects. There are two special items in this list:
- Runners: Select this item to display all controls. In the Preview mode the total number of runners visiting this control is given in brackets behind each control code. Define the number of runners per class in the Classes dialog.
- All controls: Select this item to display all controls on the map. In the Preview mode each control is displayed with its code.
Click the Add icon to add a new course. The Courses dialog opens with the added course listed in the last row.
Lock or Unlock Courses
Click the Lock icon to lock or unlock all courses. When courses are locked, it is not possible to add or remove course setting objects.
Click the Preview button to get a preview of the selected course. You are now in the Preview mode. In the Preview mode it is possible to make several graphical adjusments on the course.
The following adjustments are allowed:
- Connection Lines: Connection lines can be edited with most of the editing tools (e.g. Reshape, Add, Move or Remove Vertices, Cut etc.). This can be useful if for example a connection line crosses another control or covers an important map object.
- Control Numbers: Select a control number and move it to another position. This can be useful if the control number gets in the way of other course objects or important map information.
Visit the Make Graphic Modifications page to get more information.
Note: Other adjustments (e.g. move controls or add new course objects) are not allowed to make in the Preview mode. Make sure you click the Preview button again before going on working on the courses.
- - When moving a control or a course setting object on the map, all affecting graphical adjustments (e.g. moved control numbers or cut connection lines) made in the preview mode get lost. Use the Lock button to prevent from moving course objects accidentally.
Switch Between Courses
Use the arrow buttons to switch between the courses.
Select a course and click the Insert button. The following course objects can be inserted:
- Mandatory crossing point(s)
- Mandatory passage through out of bounds area
- Map exchange
- Team variation
- Leg variation
Visit the Insert Course Object page for more information.
Remove a course object from a course by selecting it and clicking the Delete button. Alternatively, you can press the Delete key.
This button is available when you are in the Preview mode. All graphical adjustments (e.g. moved control numbers or cut connection lines) are removed when clicking this button.
Course Length and Climb
The length and climb of the course is displayed here. The length of the course is calculated automatically. However, you can add an extra length in the Courses dialog. If a DEM is used, the climb is calculated automatically, too. Although, you will have to adjust this value in the Courses dialog because OCAD calculates it using the linear distance.
Functions for Special Course Objects
Choose the Control Description symbol and place it on the map. Enter a code in the Course Object dialog and click the OK button. The upper right corner of the control description is indicated with a hook. In the Course Object Box on the right side of the window you have the option to change the Control description type from symbol to text or change the Control description anchor from top left to bottom left.
Change Control Description Type
1) Select the control description corner on the drawing area or in the course setting objects list.
2) Change the Control description type from symbol to text or vice versa on the right side of the window.
It's the same with changing the Control description anchor from top left to bottom left in the Course Object Box.
If you select a marked route on the map, enable the Funnel tapes option in the Course Object Box to get the corresponding symbol in the control description. In addition, a text can be entered in the field above. This text appears in the text control description and has no effect on the symbol control description.
Learn how to add a Marked route with help of the Add a Marked Route article.