OCAD Sketch App
- 1 Introduction
- 2 OCAD Sketch App Data Exchange
- 2.1 Export data to App
- 2.1.1 Manage Transfer Projects
- 2.1.2 Arrange Export
- 2.1.3 Transfer and Share
- 2.2 Import Data from App
- 2.1 Export data to App
- 3 Usage
- 3.1 Open a project
- 3.2 OCAD Sketch UI
- 3.2.1 Finger gestures
- 3.2.2 Undo Redo (Draw/Erase)
- 3.2.3 Layers
- 3.2.4 Settings (GPS, Compass, North lines...)
- 3.2.5 Project Management
- 3.2.6 Align North / Maximize
- 3.2.7 Zoom
- 3.2.8 Position
- 3.2.9 Compass
- 3.2.10 Pan
- 3.2.11 Draw Sketch
- 3.2.12 Choose Sketch Width / Color
- 3.2.13 Erase Sketch
- 3.2.14 Start/Stop GPS Tracking
- 4 Demo Project
- 5 Pishing Message Warning
- 6 Last but not least
The OCAD Sketch App complements the desktop version of OCAD. It is designed for mapping in the field – both for new mapping as well as revisions, feedback from course planners or map reviewers. Drawing pen, different colors and line widths and eraser enable fast and ergonomic sketching. GPS routes can be tracked and the compass can be used to adjust the map orientation. Map projects are transferred from desktop version of OCAD to the OCAD Sketch App and synchronized back after mapping. The download and use of the app is free of charge.
Please visit also https://www.ocad.com/app for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and further information about the App.
Installation of the OCAD Sketch App
The OCAD Sketch App is available in the Apple App Store (iOS) and Google Play Store (Android). Search for OCAD Sketch,
You can also click on the link on your mobile device or scan the QR code.
- When scanning this QR code with your mobile device, please tap only on the option to open the above iOS or Android link.
- Never tap on any install buttons within the QR app (this can install advertising or pishing app's)!
What's next after the installtion of the OCAD Sketch App?
- Learn more in the OCAD Sketch App Data Exchange section how to transfer a project to your mobile device.
- Request a link or a QR code for a project from another person, e.g. a club member.
- You can also download the Demo Project
- Detailed explanation video on YouTube in English: https://youtu.be/QcKxjnAuuVY
- Detailliertes Erklärungsvideo auf YouTube auf Deutsch: https://youtu.be/GhvJRy5IJig
- Please visit https://www.ocad.com/app for Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) and further information about the App.
- Recommendations for suitable mobile devices.
Use the OCAD Sketch App Data Exchange tool in OCAD Desktop to export data to or import data from the OCAD Sketch App.
A file must be open for the function to be selected.
Export data to App
Open the OCAD Sketch App Data Exchange tool from the File menu.
Manage Transfer Projects
Select Transfer project
- Create a new transfer project. Enter a project name. The project name will be displayed in the OCAD Sketch App.
- Rename an existing transfer project.
- Delete an existing transfer project.
A QR code will be shown if you select a project that was already uploaded to OCAD Cloud Transfer.
Deleting a project in the desktop version of OCAD means that sketches for this project no longer can be imported via OCAD Cloud Transfer, even when recreating a project with the same name!
Select a transfer project in the list above and choose the transfer direction. If you select a transfer project for which data has already been uploaded, its data will be overwritten.
Export data to App: Use this option if you like to export your map and background maps to the app for field work. This option is described below.
Import data from App: Use this option if you like to import sketches from field work into OCAD Desktop, e.g. for final drawing. Read more about this step in the Import data from App Section.
- Entire map: Includes the extent of the entire map and all its background maps.
- Part of map: Choose a predefined extent or define a new one. You can define a new extent by clicking on Define or open the Setup Part of Map dialog and save an extent there.
- Choose the background maps that shall be exported to the OCAD Sketch App. Use SHIFT key to select multiple files. Use CTRL key to unselect a selected file.
- Select a map resolution. This is used for the ocd map file which is displayed as a PNG image in the Sketch App.
- Default settings: map scale > 1:5000 with 762 dpi (1 px = 0.033 mm) | map scale <= 1:5000 with 1270 dpi (1 px = 0.020 mm)
Execute data processing
- Click Execute data processing button to prepare the data for export.
Choose one of the Data transfer options.
OCAD Cloud Transfer
The project is uploaded to the OCAD Cloud Transfer which creates a QR code and a link to download the project to your mobile device.
Choose this option and click Upload to OCAD Cloud Transfer.
A green hint shows you if the upload was successful and the QR code and link is shown in the Share section.
Open the link directly on your mobile device or scan the image with your mobile device (Photo or QR Scan App) and confirm to open the link. The project will be loaded automatically into the OCAD Sketch App.
As an alternative you can copy the QR code or the link to the clipboard and may send it to someone else by email, SMS, WhatsApp, ect.
The QR code will alo be displayed in the Manage Transfer Projects section, if you select the newly uploaded project there.
The files will be removed from the OCAD Cloud Transfer after 7 days. Once you downloaded the data to your mobile device, the data will remain there even if the project is removed from the OCAD Cloud Transfer.
Close the dialog.
Data exchange folder
This option is probably smooth if you use a data exchange service app like DropBox, iCloud or OneDrive on your mobile device.
- Choose this option and choose or create a Sketch App Data Exchange root folder on the DropBox etc. (e.g. C:\Users\Username\Dropbox\OcadSketchAppExchange).
- Click Copy to data exchange folder to copy the files to the destination folder.
- On your mobile device copy the files from the data exchange service app to the OCAD Sketch App files folder (e.g. \Android\data\com.ocad.mobile\files or iOS: Files\On My iPad\OCAD Sketch)
In fact the files are copied to a subfolder _DesktopToApp\[ProjectName] of your chosen root folder.
OCAD remembers the Sketch App Data Exchange root folder and it will be set by default for upcoming transfer projects.
Close the dialog.
Copy the project folder manually to your mobile device.
Choose this option and click Open folder. The Windows Explorer opens at the folder which contains the project folder.
Now copy the entire project folder to the OCAD Sketch App files folder on your mobile device (e.g. \Android\data\com.ocad.mobile\files).
Close the dialog.
Import Data from App
Open the OCAD Sketch App Data Transfer tool from the File menu.
Manage Transfer Projects
- Select transfer project: as you like to import data from the OCAD Sketch App, you need to select the project that was used for the export.
- Transfer direction: Choose Import data from App to import sketches from field work into OCAD Desktop, e.g. for final drawing.
Choose one of the Data transfer options:
- OCAD Cloud Transfer: Choose this option if the project was sent from OCAD Sketch App to OCAD Cloud Transfer after field work.
- Data exchange folder: Copy the relevant files* on your mobile device to the data exchange folder e.g. Dropbox\OCAD Sketch App\_AppToDesktop\[ProjectName]
- USB cable: Copy the relevant files* from your mobile device to this folder in the OCAD AppData folder:
- C:\Users\[USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\OCAD\OCAD 2018\Tmp\_OcadSketchAppDataTransfer\_AppToDesktop\[ProjectName]
- * Relevant files: map.ocd (the field work sketch is saved here) | position.db (GPS positions are logged here, if the option was activated). You find the files in the OCAD Sketch App files folder (e.g. \Android\data\com.ocad.mobile\files or iOS: Files\On My iPad\OCAD Sketch)
For all 3 options: Click the Get importable files button to get a list of all importable files. The wizard jumps to the next step.
Choose files for import
Choose the files you want to import. Use Shift key to select multiple files.
- GPS log import settings: Optional: Assign a line symbol to the GPS log track.
Sketches are imported to the OCAD Sketch layer
GPS positions log tracks are imported as unsymbolized or symbolized objects
Click Import data to import the file(s).
Close the dialog.
Open a project
To work with the app, you must first load a map project onto the app. You can do so in several ways:
- You can load multiple projects on one device. Learn more in the OCAD Sketch App Data Exchange section how to transfer a project to your mobile device.
- Request a link or a QR code for a project from another person, e.g. club member.
- You can also download the Demo Project.
Tap on a project item to open it.
The first time you work with the app. you will be asked if OCAD Sketch App is allowed to retrieve the device location. Agree, if you want to work with internal GPS.
If your device has no compass, you will get notified when starting a project. Features requiring compass won't work in this case.
Open the general settings to adjust your username, get help or share feedback with the developers.
- Restore backup: Option to restore a backup version of your project. Activate the Save backup versions checkbox in the Project Settings tab.
- Send to OCAD Cloud Transfer: Upload your project to the OCAD Cloud Transfer, so you can import the project later on in OCAD Desktop.
- Delete from phone: Delete the project from your mobile device.
OCAD Sketch UI
Use 2 Finger gestures to Zoom, Pan and/or Rotate the map.
Use 1 Finger gestures with the tools from the bottom toolbar:
- Pan / Draw Sketch / Erase Sketch
- Double tap with 1 Finger to zoom in (only if the Pan tool is active)
Undo Redo (Draw/Erase)
Dim a background map, i.e. make the background map appear brighter. Slider to the right means the background map is displayed in its original colors. Slider to the left means the background map appears completely white or transparent.
The map.png is transparent by default.
Whether the other background maps are transparent or not, depends on their Transparent option in OCAD Desktop.
Settings (GPS, Compass, North lines...)
- Show current position: Shows your current position based on your device GPS. Your project must me correctly georeferenced and you must be within the project extent to see your position.
- Check the geo-referencing of your OCAD file if this message appears: "Your position is currently outside of the map area..." but the GPS position is correctly shown in other apps like Google Maps. Use Backgroud Map -> Online Map Services...: The geo-referencing is wrong if the map viewer shows a place on earth that is different to your map's location.
- Show position precision: Shows the expected precision of your current position.
- Log position to file: Logs your position to a gpx file, which can later be imported in OCAD Desktop.
- Show positions log tail: Shows the position log tail. Adjust the tail color and tail length if needed.
- Show north lines: Show north lines on the map. Adjust the Distance between north lines if needed.
- Show compass: Shows compass. Only available if your device has a build-in compass.
- Save backup versions: Saves a backup of your project automatically according to the specified Backup interval.
- A backup can be restored when the project is closed Restore a backup.
Align North / Maximize
Click on the Draw Sketch button. Now you can start sketching with the specified line color/width.
You can either draw with your fingers or with a capacitive pen, which is beneficial for precise drawing (e.g. Samsung S Pen on Samsung Galaxy Note/Tab). In cold weather, a pen and gloves are suitable.
All your drawing will be saved automatically. You do not have to save the file. Once you are done with sketching, just close the project.
Choose Sketch Width / Color
Click on the Choose Sketch Width / Color button if you like another color or line width for sketching.
There are 6 different line width and 13 different colors available. On devices with a small screen (e.g. smartphones), you can scroll to the left to see all colors.
Line widths are: 0.05 mm | 0.10 mm | 0.2 mm | 0.4 mm | 0.8 mm | 1.6 mm
- Contour / Narrow ride: 0.21 mm
- Index contour / Impassable cliff: 0.38 mm
- Form line: 0.15 mm
- Impassable cliff / Road: 0.52 mm
- Passable cliff: 0.38 mm
- Small footpath: 0.27 mm
- Uncrossable walls/ fences / hedges: 0.4 mm
- Step or edge of paved area: 0.1 mm
- Contour: 0.21 mm
Start/Stop GPS Tracking
Double Tap creates a point feature (Start/Stop at same position)
GPS Tracking supports you to determine your current position. You can either use the internal GPS of your device (default) or connect to an external GPS.
GPS recording is active, even if you switch to another map (e.g. browse in the internet or make a phone call while mapping). Only if you close the OCAD Sketch App, the position recording will stop.
Do you want to test the OCAD Sketch app but don't have a project available right now? Then download our demo project.
Step 1: Download the OCAD Sketch App to your mobile device.
Step 2: Scan the following QR code with your mobile device.
Step 3: Open the demo project.
Step 4: Start sketching.
Pishing Message Warning
- One user reported that after installing OCAD Sketch he got a message with subject ocad-sketch_MediaNess. This is a pishing message which has nothing to do with OCAD Sketch App. Please delete this message any even more important: Do not click on any links within the message!
Last but not least
Credit goes to Yannis Güdel who helped us to develop the OCAD Sketch App and supported us with his ideas and knowledge.